Friday, February 12, 2010

Oh what a frustrating day

I had a day off yesterday, and following on from some problems I'd had with the IR shutter release on my Optio, I decided to redesign my rig based on some very good advise from the folks over on Cris Benton's KAP forum.

So having quickly modified the rig, I then proceeded to spend several hours trying to get the IR sensor to work. It seemed that if I had the remote trigger in fron of the lens then the shutter would release consistently, but if I pointed the remote at the sensor, triggering became much less reliable. It didn't matter whether I shaded the whole lot, built a canopy, or whatever, getting anything more than one release in ten was just impossible. So in the end, I decided it was a "feature" of the camera and decide to look for an alternative approach. I found an Optio W80 on eBay. The W80 includes an interval timer, but no IR, so I can manage with setting the camera to click away on its own.

Look out for an S10 on eBay soon!

(I'll upload images of the modified rig when I get a minute.

No comments: